When we think February we rejoice because January is behind us and spring is not too far away. With the arrival of February, we all seem a little happier and cheerier, with the colors of love in the air. With the coming of Valentine's Day, reds and pinks can be seen wherever we go. Cupid emerges once again, shooting us with his love-of-decorating arrow.
In decorating, red and pink are easy to understand, straight forward, without much variation. Fuchsia, on the other hand, is a vivid reddish or pinkish purple color named after the flower of the fuchsia plant. Fuchsia is an interesting hue that can add life and interest to any room design.
Give the month of February a little push with a punch of color incorporated into those living spaces. Here are some helpful decorating tips on how to add February's fuchsia into your rooms.
* Use a fuchsia area rug with a fuchsia upholstered accent chair in an otherwise neutral room.
* Add varying colors of solids in fuchsia, lime green and pink pillows to contrast and add punch to dark wood-framed furniture.
* Hang fuchsia artwork on a wall over a white bed. Add color balance on the other end of the bed with a fuchsia throw or blanket creating the feeling of
* Add two-toned window panels of fuchsia and white to the windows for some added pop.
All of these suggestions are ideal for a temporary winter season change because they are not permanent fuchsia fixes. If permanent is what you're going for in a room, try some of these color combinations incorporated with fuchsia.
* Bright and crisp: White, kiwi fuchsia and pink.
* Dramatic: Black, fuchsia, leaf green and purple.
* Modern and punchy: Aqua, lemon, celery, orange, cream, white, brown, avocado green, fuchsia and blue.
If you're looking for color inspiration not only for fuchsia, your local grocery produce departments are a fun place to search. Seeing all the fruits and vegetables together flaunting their vibrancy is a fabulous source of color inspiration.
The local florist is another source. Have a bouquet of fresh flowers made up of the colors you like. Bring them home and place them in the room you want to decorate or transform. Seeing a multitude of colors in this space will promote creativity for wall color and furnishings. Make sure to add a little fuchsia to the scheme.
Softer than red and more vibrant than pink, fuchsia is a fitting color for the romantic month of February.
Debbe Daley, owner of Debbe Daley Designs, is an interior designer with more than 25 years of experience as a professional interior redesigner, stylist, stager, trainer and project manager. Follow her blog at blogs.lowellsun.com/ daleydecor.