Many years, the Lowell Summer Music Series ends with a banjo and fiddle contest.
It remains to be seen whether there will be one this year, but if there is, the champion fiddler will have to be really good to be better than the latest act added to the 2018 Lowell Summer Music Series lineup.
Natalie MacMaster and her husband, Donnell Leahy, will bring their unique blend of Celtic music and Cape Breton fiddling to Boarding House Park on Saturday, Sept. 1, at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are $42 in advance and $142 for premium seating, and will go on sale Friday, April 13 at 9 a.m. at www.lowellsummermusic.org.
MacMaster last appeared in Lowell in 2010, but this time, she's sharing the bill with her husband. Their 2015 album "One" is their first album together, but it's just the latest step in a nearly 30-year career for MacMaster, the queen of Cape Breton fiddle music.
She has toured with the Chieftains, Faith Hill, Carlos Santana and Alison Krauss, and recorded with Yo-Yo Ma. She began playing the fiddle at the age of 9 and made her performing debut the same year at a square-dance in Nova Scotia. Her first album came out when she was 16.
MacMaster said recently that even though she's touring with Leahy, and they share a billing, they only play together about 40 percent of the show. The other 60 percent of the show features arrangements, whether they either take turns or play alone.
That makes two announcements this week, with yesterday's announcement of Lettuce. LSMS officials tell The Sun that more announcements could come as soon as next week.