Start to finish: 35 minutes
1 (15-ounce) can pinto beans
4 ounces tortilla chips
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
2 scallions, sliced thin
1 cup tomato salsa
Greek yogurt or sour cream
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 400 F. Set colander in sink. Open can of pinto beans and pour into colander. Rinse beans with cold water and shake colander to drain well. Measure out 1/2 cup beans; refrigerate remaining beans for another use.
2. Spread half of chips in even layer in 8-by-8-inch square baking dish. Sprinkle chips evenly with half of cheese.
3. Sprinkle beans over cheese, then sprinkle half of scallions on top. Repeat with remaining chips, cheese, and scallions.
4. Place baking dish in oven and bake until cheese is melted, 7 to 10 minutes. Remove nachos from oven. Place baking dish on cooling rack. Let cool for 2 minutes.
5. Spoon half of salsa over top of nachos. Serve with remaining salsa and yogurt.
-- AMERICA'S TEST KITCHEN (AP)